Regional court kills controversial Serengeti Highway

The Serengeti ecosystem got a major reprieve last week when the East African Court of Justice (EACJ) ruled against a hugely-controversial plan to build a paved road through Tanzania's Serengeti National Park. The court dubbed the proposed road "unlawful" due to expected environmental impacts. The case was brought to the regional court by the Africa Network for Animal Welfare (ANAW) in 2010, but has taken four years to receive a definitive ruling.
"[We] fully [respect] Tanzania's sovereignty and its need for national development," Josphat Ngonyo, ANAW's Executive Director said in a statement. "However, by taking up this matter, ANAW was in actual fact protecting a resource that would be of future benefit not only to Tanzanians or East Africans but also the entire humanity."
The road, which would have bisected the northern—and most remote—portion of Serengeti National Park has had many ups and down. After opposition by the UN, German and U.S. governments, and the Tanzanian tourist lobby, it was widely reported that the Tanzanian government had cancelled the commercial road in 2010. A few days later, though, it became clear that the government hadn't cancelled the road at all, but only tweaked their plans, changing the road from paved to unpaved while it ran through the park for 53 kilometers. Yet critics contended if the road was built at all, it would eventually become paved, bringing an influx of traffic across the ecosystem and potentially severing Serengeti's great migration. In fact a leaked government report estimated that over million vehicles would be using the road annually by 2036.
The new ruling, however, removes the threat of a paved road for the time being.
Despite being seen as a rebuke to the Tanzanian government—and a death-knell for one of President Jakaya Kikwete's promises—the government was dismissive of the ruling.
"The government had long decided not to build the road across the Serengeti," said Natural Resources and Tourism Minister Lazaro Nyalandu in response to the court's decision, as reported by the East African.
Earlier this month, the Tanzanian government announced its intention to go ahead with a German-funded study for a different route for the commercial highway. This one would swing south, circumventing the park altogether. The route has been one option raised by conservationists and foreign governments alike.
However, the cancellation of the road could impact negatively remote northern communities that are looking for easier access to more populated areas. A few years ago the German government offered to build better access roads for these communities, which wouldn't cut through the full park.
Two million wildebeest, zebra, and antelope migrate annually across the Serengeti Plains. Research in 2011 found that a highway through the park could have cut the wildebeest population by 35 percent not including additional impacts such as wildlife-collisions, rise in poaching, and other developments. The leaked government report also predicted a lesser-migration, which would further imperil the region's already endangered big predators due to prey decline.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to brotherhood Illuminati where you can become
    rich famous and popular and your life story we be change
    totally my name is Dan Jerry I am here to share my
    testimony on how I join the great brotherhood Illuminati
    and my life story was change immediately . I was very poor
    no job and I has no money to even feed and take care of my
    family I was confuse in life I don’t know what to do I try all
    my possible best to get money but no one work out for me
    each day I share tears, I was just looking out my family no
    money to take care of them until one day I decided to join
    the great Illuminati , I come across them in the internet I
    never believe I said let me try I email them.all what they
    said we happen in my life just started it was like a dream to
    me they really change my story totally . They give me the
    sum of $1,200,000 and many thing. through the Illuminati I
    was able to become rich, and have many industry on my
    own and become famous and popular in my country , today
    me and my family is living happily and I am the most
    happiest man here is the opportunity for you to join the
    Illuminati and become rich and famous in life and be like
    other people and you life we be change totally.If you are
    interested in joining the great brotherhood Illuminati.then
    contact him +2348106618681 or for more information +1(705)8062021
    email:illuminatibrotherpowerful@gmail.com or you need my assistance
    email:danjerry04@gmail.com...

    ReplyDelete